Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Random Angle

Woah Woah Woah

How did my last post happen 9 days ago? Where is my life going? Is this how years will fly by too? Wait... Am I still alive?

A humbling and slightly horrifying thought crossed my mind today in an utterly strange way: A quick prestidigitation of my life digits and I will be swept in with the eighth notes until I am more of a hemisemidemiquaver.

(whaaa? where did that come from?)

But despite all the tug of wars, there are a few things that are keeping me from being pulled right into the sad crowd of those living at breakneak speed.

1. The Fall. A macabre piece set in the early 1920's or so that seems life affirming by the end. A study on the relationship between a suicidal stunt man recently paralyzed and a sweet, trusting five year old romanian girl. I feel that perhaps The Social Network is a better made movie, (also viewed in the past 9 days), but I can't help but be much more affected by The Fall. Of course, The Fall is about life and death, The Social Network is about The Facebook.

Please note that The Fall, though colorful and creative and tidied up with a sweet ending, might be hard for some dealing with loss.

2. MORE Oscar Wilde. Might as well, right? Autumn 2010, I feel, will be remembered by the fall of Wilde. I saw Mike's play, finally, and was touched by it. I have also spent today reading and rereading De Profundis; the letter written to his vain lover near the end of his two year hard labor jail term. Profound, and, in the very least, arrantly interesting as a study on his view of his love almost two years after being put in jail, after three very difficult trials and becoming the public example of 'gross indecency'. What is most interesting to me is his unique contemplation on Christ, love, and sin.

3. Work is a pill. Not just any pill, one that dehydrates and leaves me not recognizing any comparisons between weekdays and weekends. The shortening days also leave me with a distinct scurrying feeling at all times. So as my third point on staying sane amidst a torrent of insanity, I wanted to share a few things that calm me. I saw this post one day and ever since have thought about the things that really do calm me.


  • fall-flavored candles on cute candlesticks
  • apple cider (warm or cold)
  • deli cheeses and meats that spruce up a lame sandwiches at lame days at work
  • seeing sheet music laying around
  • reading, seeing, partaking of art
  • feeling rested
  • being completely ready for bed
  • Jim Hensen
  • reading aloud and being read aloud to
  • seeing Michael on stage
  • glossy wood floors
  • pictures on the wall
  • campfire smell
  • and the smell of decomposing leaves
  • watching lame movies and laughing. and laughing at how much of life is spent watching lame movies
  • head on pillow
  • storms
  • and everything else on the curlsofred 20 calming things post that wasn't already mentioned.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I think it's important to have time markers...like "fall of Wilde". It's helps us remember the years better.
Gracias on the mention.

Angela said...

I agree. That's something that I only started to do since we started dating our men.

My pleasure. :)