Monday, January 17, 2011

Inspiration, Part 2

Does it seem that the film awards are predictable to anyone else? I do enjoy the awards every year, and I love seeing the movies that truly are worthy of awards receive what's due to them. Despite my skepticism, here's my thoughts on some of the films that are bound to make it to the Oscars:

The King's Speech - This is first because I loved it the most. Of course I would pick the historical, beating the odds, inspirational, endearing piece as the one I loved the most. Geoffrey Rush and Colin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter are so wonderful. And who likes public speaking anyways?

The Black Swan  - Even though I loved the King's Speech the most, this might be a close race for my favorite. Anyone who has done any sort of artform has probably tasted the psychological consequences of really delving into a piece that challenges beyond comfort. Not a comfortable piece, but it will take your breath away.

Inception - Come on awards people. This, to me, is an example of a movie that should receive more awards but probably won't. Why? Merely because it was in the theaters in the wrong season. But that's just my opinion.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part One - So I don't really think that this will get awards, but I love this story like I love Christmas. It's just meant to be loved.

The Fighter - The respectability of this family and the standards they live up to make me uncomfortable, but it is a story worth telling.

True Grit  - I like the Coen brothers' penchant for telling a story about those 'salt of the earth' kind. They bring out the matter of fact in people. I don't know if this 'needs' any awards, but it received a bit of buzz.

Have a good evening. Until next time.

No comments: